A Very Strange Day

25 May

A Very Strange Day

Today was a very strange day. I’m not exactly sure where to begin. I suppose I’ll start with a few facts:

1. Our washing machine has been broken for 3 weeks.
2. My director closed our office today to give us an early start to the Memorial Day weekend.
3. Sears Home Services was scheduled to send a Repair Technician to install the broken washing machine part between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.
4. I had an appointment downtown at 3:30 p.m.
5. I may never ride the bus again.

I woke up early today, or early for a day off anyway, to be ready when the Sears repair man arrived. He was supposed to get here between 8 a.m. and noon. It was nice to have the day off; I am taking two classes this summer session, which is rather intense. Having the extra time at home gave me the opportunity to work on some assignments for school, and get a few things done around the house; like servicing our Roomba vacuum cleaner.

At 12:05 p.m. I figured I should check-in with Sears to find out why the service dude had yet to show up. They told me that he was running an hour behind, and should be there closer to 1:00 p.m. I was down with that, no big thing, I had the day off after all! Right after I hung up, Alex sent me a text saying that his phone just told him that he had received a voicemail at 9:00 a.m. saying that Sears was running behind. Fair enough, I thought.

At 2:05 p.m. I was a little less okay with the fact that the repair dude still hadn’t arrived. We were now an hour past “we’re going to be an hour late.” So I called Sears again. I may have had a bit of an attitude during this phone call, but I had already been waiting for 6 hours for this dude, and I had an appointment at 3:30 p.m., which meant I needed to leave by 3 p.m. The representative I spoke to apologized and said she understood why I would be annoyed, and that she would send a message to the technician and tell him to give me a call with an update.

At 3:00 p.m. I was pissed. I called Sears again while heading out the door to go downtown. I was explaining my frustration to the customer service agent when I got on the bus. I told her that I had been waiting for 7 hours, and no one showed up, that I needed to leave now, and that I wanted someone to come out tomorrow, because this was ridiculous. As I said all of that I sat down on the bus. I should note that the bus smelled really bad. I was trying to listen to the customer service agent, as people on the bus tried to get my attention. I ignored these people because they didn’t seem like folks I would normally associate with, and because I was intent on solving my issue with Sears, but the people were persistent. I finally asked them what they wanted, and they told me that the person who was sitting in my seat before me had shat herself, and I was now sitting in it. Take a moment, let that thought sink in.

I stood up, and the people laughed at me. I got off the bus at the next stop, and headed back home to throw away my clothes. Ironically enough, even if I wanted to, I couldn’t wash them, since my washing machine is still broken. At this point I was still on the phone with the woman at Sears, who had relentlessly taken the position to not help me. I stood in my dining room and implored that she find me an appointment for tomorrow, while stripping off my ruined clothes, and she told me she had to put me on hold while she called someone. I asked her if she could call me back, since I didn’t want to be on hold, I wanted to get naked as quickly as possible and being on the phone with her was impeding that. Then she told me that she “couldn’t guarantee me a call back.” And I lost it.

What really through me over the edge (besides the shit, that obviously didn’t help matters), was that she was refusing to help me. Sure, Sears may have a stance that they don’t guarantee people a call back, but that woman, Mindy or something like that, could have given me, a human being, her person guarantee that she would help me. And she didn’t. And I told her that, and she still didn’t budge. She finally relented that she could have the dispatch center call me back. So I hung up.

I threw out my clothes, got changed as fast as I could, and decided that I would bike to my appointment. It was the only way that I was going to make it. I had been unsure about biking because I haven’t had my one-month follow up visit with my knee surgeon yet (today is one month, yay!!). His general stance was that as I healed I should “not go crazy,” but who knows what that actually means. Was riding my bike 2 miles each way going crazy? I wasn’t sure, but I had to get to Center City, and I had no intentions of getting back on the bus.

Surprise, surprise, while I was in my appointment the dispatch people did not call me back. Alex called Sears when he got home at 4:00 p.m. to see if they could still come today, and they told him that they could. Alas, at 4:55 p.m. they called to say that the technician couldn’t make it to our house today, but they can come next Friday, which is completely unacceptable. I’m not going to wait a week, which means another trip to the Laundromat, and take a vacation day because they were incompetent. I called them when I got home and got the money we’d prepaid for the service back, and told them that I’ll never do business with them again.

Now I’m telling the world, I will never do business with Sears again. They were rude, incompetent and unhelpful.

Also, I may never take the bus again; I may have some serious PTSD after the shit incident.

All of that being said, it wasn’t a bad day. I got to ride my bike for the first time since my surgery, it’s a gorgeous day in Philadelphia, and now I’m going to go out with my husband, who I just celebrated my second wedding anniversary with this week.

Have a great weekend!


One Response to “A Very Strange Day”

  1. Donna Russell May 25, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

    God love ya Jess!!! After a day like that you still managed to have a positive attitude. That’s one of the things I love about you! Miss you bunches! Telluride mom I said Hi and give her a hug from me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: